In this solo episode, I talk about something that is incredibly important in my agency and with my team – quality assurance. As always, I speak to it from the trenches. This is how I think about it and how our team applies it daily to ensure everyone involved in a project has less stress.
Our first stop is ‘Why it Exists' in the first place. Why is it important to ensure you have good processes in place and ‘buy-in’ from everyone involved in a project? What influences how it's applied? And what is the impact if it's not applied? I also break down from a web design and development perspective how our team as a whole approaches it. Who gets involved and what does it look like?
I discuss specific examples which include projects we've applied it to in the realm of web development and on the design side. Also, I explain how user testing in general is also part of the process and the importance of the all important retrospective. Enjoy the episode!
THE MEAT OF IT!
- Defining Quality Assurance – ensuring the quality of what you deliver
- Testing, Reviewing and Double-checking
- Why should Quality Assurance exist?
- Client Retention – we need to care, brand
- Testing as you go..
- Fewer surprises and stresses on the team & client
- QA is about knowledge and experience..
- How much QA do you need to do?
- What is the impact if something goes wrong?
- Payment Plugin example
- We’re not just web developers or web designers..we have an important role in your business too!
- No dedicated QA Team
- THE RIGHT RESOURCES in Place
- QA baked process from start to delivery
- Multiple Eyeballs
- Myself or another team member
- I always TAKE THE TIME to double, and triple check before the project reaches our clients
- Quality Assurance means NOT RUSHING things
- “If you’re not sure, let’s make it sure!”
- I can assume because I have the right people but I still need to review and check on them..that’s how we do TEAMWORK
- We all can learn and improve
- Allow your team to say ‘NO ‘ and be open to their suggestions
- Back-up and ways to revert in place
- Making sure the designers and developers are working parallel to the project
- Feedback – Iterations – Getting it Done
- Getting others outside the dev or design team to review and test
- Get reports of things you didn’t catch from other users/testers
- Retrospectives with the team
- What can we do better?
- What things can we improve more?
- What changes do we need to start making?
- Team communication is really important to attain Quality Service
Check out these related Episodes:
- Episode 94: Client Retention – 9 Areas You Need to Pay Attention to.. Including Controlling Growth!
- Episode 93: Kristi Spencer – Learn About Etiquette Related to Teams, Customer Service, Clients & More!
- Episode 85: 3 WordPress Plugins Developed.. What’s Next? Matt Shares the New Industry They’ll Be Targeting!